nafex - Re: [NAFEX] splicing tape

  • From: "K Q" <kumquat@operamail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] splicing tape
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:17:07 -0800

Mark, I have used this tape for tying up chip bud grafts. Cut yourself a 2
inch length of tape, then cut it down the middle, lengthwise to obtain two
narrow pieces. For chip buds, I never cover the actual dormant bud.

Half width sections also work well for regular whip and tongue grafts. I like
half width better than full width. For really tiny grafts, I have even used
1/3 and 1/4 width tape, but that is an exception. 99% of my grafts use half
width tape.

There may occur small gaps between the tape and scion/stock interface, so
what I do is insert tiny pieces of modeling clay (kids version) where ever I
see an airgap. Use either a pencil or toothpick to manipulate such small
quantities of modeling clay! Think of yourself as a plant dentist.
This clay functions also to keep the grafting glue from running into the said
gap and screwing up the chip bud or T-bud.

Then I will paint a small amount of grafting glue over the clay to bind it to
the tape or stock. The effect is to totally seal out the effects of drying
air. Drying is deadly to a chip bud or T-buds.

Kenneth Quattlebaum