nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Layering not

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Layering not
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:49:10 -0800 (PST)

I also recall reading somewhere about the pre-wrapping technique for easier
layering
or rooting of hardwood cuttings. The author called it blanching, I think.
Reasoning was that many of the "difficult to root" hardwood cuttings need a
long
time to be convinced they are in soil, and these can be tricked by keeping the
desired root-producing section free of light for x# weeks-months before
harvesting
the cuttings.

I wrap young trunks of young fruit trees in foil for the winter, if they
don't have
other rodent guard. Left on MM111 and Bud.118 too long, the foil will allow
roots
to develop along the trunk!

A couple years ago I mounded up a multi-shoot OHxF rootstock which was 2 or 3
year
old wood then. This is an attempt at stooling, altho NAFEXlisters kindly
pointed
out that mounding for stooling is better done on new shoots in their first
growing
season. Haven't gotten around to digging this OHxF yet. Will dig this
spring, if
only to report back to the list.