nafex - [NAFEX] Layering not

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Layering not
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:58:03 -0500 (EST)

I have a `have you ever tried' question. Somewhere, unfortunately I do not
remember where, I read about a modified layering technique. Basically the
claim was that if one wraps a small branch (I think preferably low down) on
a woody plant in foil for a season it (so light is excluded but so that it
does grow out of the tip) it tends to revert to a juvenile state and can
then be rooted much more readily than a straight Fall hardwood cutting. This
certainly has a name which I have also forgotten.

As I say, has anyone actually tried this as a way to produce own-rooted
trees? I was thinking of trying it on quinces -- as an alternative to
grafting them.

Richard