nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Testing patented stock; thanking fruit breeders

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Testing patented stock; thanking fruit breeders
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:58:36 -0500

Thanks, Del, for your note below about complementing fruit breeders.  At our NAFEX meeting last summer; I had the chance to thank John Clark for breeding and releasing "Westbrook", an extra-early nectarine for home and local fresh markets.  The ripe fruit seldom makes it into our house.  Learned about its new release through an SFF meeting at Clark's Univ Ark research farm a few years ago.  To my surprise, he said I'm the first grower who's given him any feedback.  It's a melting type, so we talked about the challenge of brown rot prevention.

Most all of us value it when our labor of love is appreciated by another.  One way to encourage continual release of varieties that only have niche appeal is to thank their developers any chance we get.

Richard Moyer
Cold east TN; having Korean Giant asian pears with lunch

Message: 4