nafex - [NAFEX] winter kill

  • From: derry and bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] winter kill
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:05:22 -0800

Is there anyone in the East, or even eastern WA, or Bernie Nikolai in Edmonton, who can tell me how cold they think it gets in the soil when the above ground temps are -30°C or -40°C (colder than -20°F). My conversion ruler doesn't go below -20°F!

I have (above ground)pots of M9 and M26 apple whips and the above ground temperature has reached -12°C (+10°F). They are out of the wind in my carport. There is no snow cover in my carport.

Should I be concerned?

I also have St Julian A plum whips and Mazzard cherry whips outside with snow cover and the overnight low temperature has reached -12°C. Any ideas?

There is nothing much I can do now and the weather is reported to be warming, but I'm interested to hear what growers who have more experience with cold temps have to say

Derry
south coastal B.C.

I must add that it is marvellous to have the sun reflecting off the snow instead of our usual grey rainy days in January. In 2006 we got 11 inches of rain in January. Yuk!