nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Temperate Berry Crops

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Temperate Berry Crops
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:36:49 -0600

Jim, thanks for reminding me of the wisdom of using qualifying language.
You are right.

However, what type of weather was there before first frost and what kind
of winter temperatures did your unprotected (by snow) blackberries that
came thru the winter OK endure? By this, I mean not just minimums, but
also what was the hardening off period like Was it conducive to
promoting cold hardiness? Was the drop in temps gradual? What was the
soil moisture like? Too much moisture doesn't encourage the plant to
"shut down" for the winter, too little and it goes into the winter with
the tissues not adequately hydrated. And did the temps stay below
freezing until growth began in the spring?

I've noticed that it's often not the coldest winters that cause the most
cold damage in woody plants, but instead poor harding-off conditions and
variable winter temps, whether or not there was snowcover. My
experience with Illini (non)Hardy blackberry here in St. Paul leads me
to think that. Two years ago I expect my Illini Hardy to come thru the
winter in fine shape because of relatively mild winter temps. However,
it proved to be very damaging to the fruiting wood, with very much
winter injury and die-back. I concluded that this was because the
plants did not remain fully dormant until growth began in the spring.

I'd like to hear your ideas on this. Thanks -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul,
Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)