nafex - [NAFEX] Aronia

  • From: "hector black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Aronia
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:59:47 -0600

We've had a couple of Aronias for quite a few years.  Nero we've had the longest.  I've picked the berries at various stages or ripeness and never found them palatable.  They may do better in a colder climate than ours - hot humid summers, zone 6.  I've seen them growing elsewhere and they look healthier than ours (up north). Also grow Viking which seems to be very similar to Nero in our experience.  Ours grow to bushes about 6-7 ft. tall.  Perhaps they would do better pruned lower?  They also tend to defoliate in late August.  Not very heavy fruit production which may also be due to lack of pruning.  They did better when they were about 4-5' high.
    Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN