nafex - [NAFEX] Golden (Clove) currant notes--need for improvement

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Golden (Clove) currant notes--need for improvement
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 23:16:30 -0500

A couple of references on Golden (Clove) currants.  'Crandall' is the best known (only?) cultivar commercially available.
http://www.fs.fed.us/global/iitf/pdf/shrubs/Ribes%20aureum.pdf
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Ribes+odoratum

As I've noted before, identifying plants with a shorter growth habit or less droopy branches and/or with fruit ripening all at once could be an improvement over 'Crandall'.  With the millions of native plants out there in the midwest and west, opportunity for lots of fruit exploring.

My Crandall patch started as a single plant in a 2 1/4" pot, so the spreading habit appreciated in my setting.  Controlled by mowing or giving away plants.  No need for a pollinator, as noted by others.  But the long canes falling over with fruit limits its value as an ornamental, and the ability to pick clean fruit without management.  Perhaps cutting the canes back 1/3-1/2 at some point would be helpful, with little loss of yield.  Anyone tried this?  It works for black rasp and blackberries.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6 East TN
Dividing and propagating Ribes nigrum (Euro black currant) cultivars yesterday, into new raised beds.

  • [NAFEX] Golden (Clove) currant notes--need for improvement, Richard Moyer, 01/06/2007