nafex - Re: [NAFEX] jam making/white grape juice concentrates in place of the sugar

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] jam making/white grape juice concentrates in place of the sugar
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:23:37 -0600

>According to my reading the only exception to compatibility is apparently
kiwis and chocolate, for unknown reasons.

I'm not sure about chocolate, but the reasons for kiwis not gelling is well
known. Most kiwis contain a protease enzyme called actinidin. This enzyme
will break down agar, pectin, and gelatin. However, not all cultivars have
it at the same levels. The yellow chinensis fruit sold as Zespri Gold
(Hort16a) available in some markets (unfortunately only rarely here) has
very low levels of actinidin. It can be added to jellies or gelatin as long
as it is makes up less than about 50%. The fuzzy green 'Hayward' fruit
cannot be used.

Here is a link with some additional details for anyone who may be
interested. http://www1.ttv.ne.jp/~kiwi/E_actinidin.htm.

Happy Holidays!

Hal
zn6b, TN