nafex - Re: [NAFEX] jam making/white grape juice concentrates in place ofthesugar

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] jam making/white grape juice concentrates in place ofthesugar
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:45:40 -0800

Some more notes:

Your jam or jelly will be more tart than if sweetened with honey or sugar.
You'll want to use sweet, ripe fruit. If needed, you can sweeten up a
too-tart batch with honey or agave nectar. Some fruits don't need sugar for
sweetening at all. As you keep making jams/jellies, you'll probably find
yourself experimenting with the concentrate:juice ratios.

You shouldn't have to vary the pectin type or amount from what the Rodale
recipes call for (not that you should skip your gel test).

These will be freezer jams. White grape juice concentrate cannot be counted
on to have the same preserving qualities as honey or sugar.

Winemaking supply stores should also have white grape concentrate, I don't
know how price and sweetness would compare with store-bought.

~ S