nafex - [NAFEX] Gaylussacia

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <list@ginda.us>
  • Cc: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Gaylussacia
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:25:56 -0600

Ginda,
I ordered a bunch of Gaylussacia baccata plants from Tripple Brook Nursery and they called saying they weren't able to send me any bare root plants thereby cancelling my order. Do you suppose that you could pick a handful of G. baccata berries and send them to me so, at least, I could plant some seed? Could we could trade?
From your letter, below, now I understand your problem. You want something to stabilize soil. Had I known that, I would have suggested Ground Cover Raspberry (Rubus triflorus) but I can't imagine where you'd buy any. Hartmann Plant Company sells Rubus arcticus, aka Ground Cover Raspberry. I have tried both plants finding that R. arcticus doesn't like my 'banana belt' (zone 3) climate, disappearing and ceasing growth, as cool Spring turns to warm Summer.
It just so happens that I have a bunch of R. triflorus and it does what you want a ground cover to do. I've got it in a spot where it gets no more than two hours of Mid-Summer sun per day. It spreads 1' to 2' per year and produces flavorful, albeit tiny, berries. Could we trade my R. triflorus berries for your G. baccata berries? Then we'd both have seed to plant.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com