nafex - Re: [NAFEX] jam making - steam extracted juice

  • From: "hector black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] jam making - steam extracted juice
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:00:33 -0600

We''ve used a Finnish made steam extractor for many years to process fruit into juice for jellies. We also mix the juices (because they are usually quite strong) with water or other juices for beverage. The flavor is wonderful because the fruit hasn't been boiled. It is also a great way to preserve the juice till you have time to finish the jelly-making process. We run it from the juicer into quart bottles that have been sterilized and seal them.
I expect some of the flavor is lost in the final process when the juice is mixed with sugar and pectin and boiled, but it remains one of our favorite ways of preserving blueberry, mayhaw, blackberry, grape, crabapple and other fruits where the ratio of fruit flesh to seed is high.
Hector Black zone 6 middle TN

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark and Piper" <piper33@verizon.net>