nafex - Re: [NAFEX] jam making - steam extracted juice

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] jam making - steam extracted juice
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:39:51 -0800

I have a steam juicer. It's a convenient way to juice small fruits for
drinking or preserving. It seems to me the juice is less diluted than it
would be by boiling the fruit in water. I think the concentration of juice
has more effect on the flavor; but maybe you keep more flavor elements
because the fruit stays covered during the process.

The fruit has to be clean. I've tried to steam juice grapes with the stems
sprayed clean but not removed, and pomegranates broken into pieces. I got a
kind of grassy/woody taste; it's worth the time to stem the grapes, and seed
the pomegranates.

~ Stephen