nafex - [NAFEX] Beating walnut trees

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Beating walnut trees
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 21:21:45 -0600

Lucky didn't get the poem quite right, at least not the traditional version from Europe. It's donkeys, wives, and walnut trees that are said to improve from beating. I don't know much about donkeys, will pass on that part. I suspect you can get women to work harder by beating them, but it probably makes them a lot less fun to have around. Walnuts are prone to excessive vegetative growth and prolonged juvenility. The approved method was to beat them with iron chains, which should not break the bark but should reduce the sap flow enough to slow the tree growth and encourage it to begin bearing. Donna