nafex - Re: [NAFEX] taste test-grocery apples

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] taste test-grocery apples
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:35:35 -0800

I wonder about that, too, how much effect general climate and specific
seasonal conditions have on particular apples; also orchard management and
storage time. Here in northern CA we have a very large selection of apple
varieties grown in the coastal and Sierra foothills. I've not yet had an
outstanding Honeycrisp, but each year - each month, actually - different
varieties will stand out for crispness, complexity, and sugar/acid balance.
I've given up on the idea of a favorite variety - I buy what's in peak
season, and what our produce people recommend.

~ Stephen