nafex - Re: [NAFEX] taste test-grocery apples

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] taste test-grocery apples
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 18:09:57 -0600

Regarding store bought apples:

According to the U.S. Apple Association's survey of apple storage facilities, total U.S. holdings of fresh and processing apples from the 2005 crop on July 1 were 15.4 million bushels. Before the 2006 crop can go into storage, the remaining millions of bushels will be moved out. Since the average movement per month in the U. S. is around 5 million bushels, odds are the apples purchased in a store in September are still last years apples! Since Honeycrisp are known as the best storing apple (up to 6 months in regular refrigerated storage) it has become quite popular because it usually the only crisp apple on store shelves throughout the year. Just some food for thought!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark or Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>