nafex - Re: [NAFEX] photograph of the rootstock apple Bud-118 heavy with fruit.

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] photograph of the rootstock apple Bud-118 heavy with fruit.
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 05:33:43 -0600

Hi Charlie,

Bud 118 has lovely pink flowers and a columnar habit (until the weight of the fruit drags the branches down).  Bud 118 has sweet fruit with a relatively low acid levels and a nice dose of soft tannins--something that hard cider makers value for imparting depth (mouthfeel) to the cider. It's nothing you'd want to eat for dessert.  Most European cider apples (generally so tannic as to be inedible) are not reliably hardy in zones 3-4, so the usual source of tannin for Northerners has been crabs of various sorts.  These also tend to be very high in acid and have not allowed cider makers to control levels of acid and tannin independently.

3-4 years ago I wrote the cider makers e-list about my observation (I had a Bud 118 that I never got around to grafting).  Someone else may have had a similar experience with Bud 118 or perhaps passed my observations along.  I've not made hard cider for a couple years because I still have gallons and gallons I've not even bottled yet, so I have no more recent experience to share bout Bud 118's cider making characteristics.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3-4