nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Is fall planting chesnut seed possible?

  • From: BekeeprTop@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Is fall planting chesnut seed possible?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:18:31 EDT

The chesnuts  I have are:
tree form - "Luvall's Monster" that Phil Rutter after viewing the original tree in Illinois, thought to be of european extraction
chinese form:  "Qing" and "Lindstrom 67" that I purchased at the last NNGA convention I was able to attend several years ago, and the 3rd bearing one is a seedling from a tree planted in the 1940's by a Massachusetts NNGA member.    All these 4 trees described above bore this year, the Luvall's i grafted around 1997, and has been bearing annually for about 4 years, the other 4 are bearing this year for the first time each.
I'll be planting some seeds today under hardware cloth with seeds of other things like an unidentified crabapple.   If they grow, great, otherwise, at least the seed won't be moldering in the refrigerator.  Also this afternoon I'll be making a layered frozen cake from eleagnus fruit - picked 2 gallons fruit yesterday afternoon.
Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts