nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Is fall planting chesnut seed possible?

  • From: "Gene Spears" <Spears@LMC.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Is fall planting chesnut seed possible?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:17:59 -0400

Charlie,

            Yes, in fact The American Chestnut Foundation recommends seed planting directly in the soil, as opposed to container growing.  There’s a PDF file accessible at the link http://chestnut.cas.psu.edu/Breeding.html

called “Growing American Chestnuts” that describes a good procedure for direct planting (the section is called “The Meadowview Method”).

            This has been a good year for American (sprouts) and planted trees here in western NC – a heavy nut year.  Are yours Chinese?

Best of luck,

Gene Spears

separs@lmc.edu