nafex - [NAFEX] Lingonberry Questions

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Lingonberry Questions
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:39:20 -0500

Do any of you grow Lingonberries? Or know of someone who does?

Everything I have read about their culture claims that they prefer(!) poor soil. Could this claim be only a belief because that's where Lingonberries are found growing in Nature? Could it be that they are found growing in poor soils because they can't compete with the plethora of weeds that inhabit better soils? Groundcherries, for example, are only found in Nature growing in poor soils where little else will grow. Groundcherries perform poorly in Nature but grow to be giants in excellent soil; could it be that Lingonberries would do likewise?
I need to ask these questions because we've got customers demanding Lingonberry jam and I've got to figure out how to grow the plant. Trouble is, what little poor soil I have is occupied with plants I can't afford to eradicate. I do have empty space available for planting but it has 14" of rich, black dirt. What do you think?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com