nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum Question

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: Dennis Norton <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum Question
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:16:21 -0400

Dennis,
Excuse my ignorance... What is Assail? Is it a chemical insecticide - of what type? Is it accepted for bio growing?

Have you tried Surround?

Claude Jolicoeur,
Quebec.

At 12:39 2006-09-21, you wrote:
We have been growing apples, peaches, plums and pears here at Royal Oak Farm
since 1992. We have the same plum curculio issues you all seem to be faced
with, but we use Assail for them with good success. Since we are an IPM
orchard, we try to control our pest with as little spraying as possible. We
have no greater pressure on the plum trees than we do on the apples. This
year was especially heavy for PC, but Assail did do the job. We also use
Assail for codling moth and try to time the curculio spray with the codling
moth spray. Assail calls for a higher rate for curcullio so we use the
curculio rate. Granted, we use our data from our wireless weather station
to give us the correct timing, but if you spray at plum petal fall that
should take care of them. Imidan is also good on curculio as well as
codling moth. Imidan is a contact spray and Assail has to be ingested.
With Assail you will still see some strikes on the fruit, but you will have
to decide if that is acceptable. Just thought I would toss in my 2 cents
worth!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com