nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Inexpensive wax toilet ring gaskets

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Inexpensive wax toilet ring gaskets
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 20:49:57 -0500

At 08:41 PM 9/4/2006, Ray wrote:
two years ago I used it (wax toilet ring) on 14 grafts with bad results. Easy to put
on and looked good but within a week the scions started to turn black
and died. Used it on both cleft and whip and tongue grafts. Zero
take and as a rule I have had close to 100 per cent take using
grafting compound or the yellow sealant.

Thanks, Ray.
I bought one several years ago, just to try it out, but never got around to sticking any on a graft - seemed pliable enough, but heck, I've got Parafilm, and I know it works well, so I just never used it.
In light of your experience, I'll retract my recommendation. -
But, I have used cow manure, and it works OK. Makes a nice wound dressing, too if somebody gets too close with the mower or weedeater - can't reverse the effects of a girdling cut, but if it's just a nick or small chunk of bark knocked off, if you can slap a good thick wad of manure on there before the tissues dry out, it helps keep things from drying out too much while the cambium regenerates and calluses over.

LLP