nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Epsom Salts

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Epsom Salts
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 05:54:50 -0500

I've recently taken up the practice as well. I water citrus (potted of
course), camellias, rhododendrons magnolias and any other potted acidophiles
with Epsom Salts (at a teaspoon or so to a gallon of water) whenever the
plants look like they've lightened up from deep green. I have hard,
alkaline water, so I also add very dilute sulfuric acid when I must use well
water continuously. I've moved toward using rain water and reverse osmosis
filtered water for potted plants as much as possible and that seems to have
help with my chlorosis problems as well.

I sprinkle Epsom salts lightly on rhododendrons and magnolias and a few
other plants in the ground, too. This, along with the use of elemental
sulfur has pretty much taken card of problems acidophiles were having in my
alkaline, sandy soil. Is there another source of magnesium that I could use
for a similar effect on the ground-planted plants?

Steve H. in cactus country, SW WI.