nafex - [NAFEX] `Crimea' Quince

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] `Crimea' Quince
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:55:34 -0400 (EDT)

I have a `Crimea' quince from One Green World that is actually carrying 4
little quinces this year. Does anyone have experience with this cultivar --
I think the name is more properly `Krimskaya' meaning the same thing?
Mainly I am interested to know when the fruit ripens or matures. This is a
delicate point here in Vermont. By the way, the fruit is rather odd-looking
for quince. They have the right downy covering but look like `Ure' pears
(which I happen to have growing not far away) in shape and pretty much in
size too (maybe the quince are a little bigger). The tree itself is only in
its third year, so I should probably have culled these in Spring. Still, I
would hate to miss out on the little fellows -- these are the first quinces
(Cydonia) that have grown close to maturity here.

Unfortunately Pear/Cherry slug appeared with this cultivar too, perhaps
coincidentally but I suspect not.

Richard

Vermont, 3b/4a (more like 4b lately).

  • [NAFEX] `Crimea' Quince, rmelrose, 08/07/2006