nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rust on blackberries; Triple Crown recommendation

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rust on blackberries; Triple Crown recommendation
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 22:19:11 -0400

Ginda wrote:
Anyone else have experience growing blackberries despite orange rust?

Our reply:
Of 7-8 blackberry cultivars we are growing, with rust appearing each year on wild black raspberries 100 ft away, our favorite is blackberry Triple Crown.
Never seen rust on it (yet).

See this reference that compares several of the more recent blackberry cultivars on trial in Kentucky.  Note also that some of these authors are speaking at the NAFEX meeting later this month, and that we will visit some of these sites.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/pr/pr483/horticultural.HTM

Ed Mashburn shared in about Triple Crown doing well in PA. Triple Crown appears to work well in KY, which has statewide rust pressure.

It's also non-patented, which I prefer because it tip roots so easily.
Richard Moyer
East TN
"Fall" crop of Caroline red raspberries in full swing now.

  • Re: [NAFEX] rust on blackberries; Triple Crown recommendation, Richard Moyer, 08/07/2006