nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple grafting

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple grafting
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 17:55:57 -0400

On Aug 5, 2006, at 9:36 AM, "" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu> <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu> wrote:

------- Original Message -------
From : list@ginda.us[mailto:list@ginda.us]
Sent : 8/4/2006 10:48:01 PM
To : nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Cc :

I would like to graft an apple tree either this weekend or next.
What methods work at this time of year? Chip budding? Do I have to
wait until spring? How much/when should I cut back the stock? The
stock has been in the ground a little more than a year, now.

Ginda,
I'd do a T-bud placment - just my preference. Never have been able to get the hang of chip-budding.

I did a few apples & crabs last week, and have been doing some redbuds(Alba & Forest Pansy) this weekend.

Took a quick look at some of the 'whitebud' T-bud placements I did a week or so back, and they look good, but I probably won't force them until next spring.

Lucky

Just did my first ever t-bud grafts. Mechanically, they look nice and I feel optimistic about them. I assume the goal is for the bud to "grow into" the tree this fall, and sprout next spring. Should I cut back most of the rest of the tree next spring, or wait until after stuff sprouts?

Ginda