nafex - [NAFEX] apple grafting

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple grafting
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 23:48:01 -0400

I would like to graft an apple tree either this weekend or next. I will take the scion from a bit that I grafted years ago onto a crab. I don't have much of the scion, so I need to be somewhat efficient. (It's not in a location that gets much light, and grows slowly - one reason I want to move it. Also, I now have a good fruit stock to put it on.) I'm pretty good at whittling, and have a nice sharp blade. My best blade is a straight grafting knife.

What methods work at this time of year? Chip budding? Do I have to wait until spring? How much/when should I cut back the stock? The stock has been in the ground a little more than a year, now.

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass. zone 6