nafex - Re: [NAFEX] In Oregon, a Cherry Jubilee (NY Times)

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] In Oregon, a Cherry Jubilee (NY Times)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:42:30 -0500

I'd highly recommend a similar colon cleansing tour following the Okinagon
river in north central WA up into British Columbia. The US side is mostly
unaccessible commercial/industrial orchards but there are many fruit stands
and farmers' markets around the towns and all that fruit is something to
see. The road on the Canadian side is lined with 2-5 acre orchards each
with their own fruit stand run by the family who grew what they are
selling. You can talk to the guy who picked the peaches and cherries on
display that morning about varieties and orchard practices and go into the
back room and watch them sort and grade fruit just coming in. People are
very friendly and accommodating and there are plenty of rest rooms. It is
amazing how many tree ripened peaches and cherries it takes to fill up a
person and how good peaches for breakfast sounds after not being able to
look at another one the day before. Lots of excellent wineries to tour as
well and the BC wines are second to none.

Dave