nafex - [NAFEX] Transplanting - Damson Plum

  • From: "John Barbowski" <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Transplanting - Damson Plum
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:01:37 -0400

A friend asked me if I wanted his Damson plum, a young sapling that was being
ignored in his overgrown yard. I concurred, even though the tree was sprouting;
it was late April, almost too late to move the tree.

The tree had been half girdled by mice and the sprouting rootstock provided
almost 80% of the structure. My pruning shears made short work of the
undesireables. I prepared to lift it out of the ground. The soil was a dark loam
and did not adhere well to the root mass - but I had sympathy for the tree and
continued.

This time I prepared the receiving hole properly and further pruned the tree
to reduce the pressure on the root system. It existed the 1st year and each
stem grew 3-6 inches. I attribute its survival to extensive pruning and to a
quick transplant (<2 hrs). This year it has plums (about 25), and is growing well.

I have notice an anomaly that is interesting. About 20% of the plums are doubles.
Is this a normal occurrence for plums or could it be a result of the previous
year's trauma?

jmb