nafex - Re: [NAFEX] in the bag

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] in the bag
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 20:42:26 -0700

The pomegranate is in blossom right now. In beautiful bloom. The squirrels
seem to have been poisoned by a neighbor. I don't know if they'll return,
but if they do, and behave like last year, they'll wait until the fruits
blush before plundering them. They have no other pests, so I can wait and
see. I may not only bag the fruit, but set out squirrel food, and maybe use
repellant of some sort - a carrot and stick approach. Or, if they don't
return, I'll make juice and jelly...

Protecting the base of the tree will do no good for me, the squirrels have
plenty of places from which to conduct an aerial attack.

Stephen Sadler
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate