nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bagging, squirrels and plums

  • From: "" <rmelrose@danvilleVT.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: rmelrose@DanvilleVT.net
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bagging, squirrels and plums
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:12:04 -0400

Mark, thanks for the pointer to the gardenweb discussion. It sounds as
though this is not going to fool the squirrels -- for whom I have some
respect as an enemy -- but I will give it a try in the hope that the local
squirrels are dim. In fact it took them a few years to learn that plums are
edible (they learnt on a Santa Rosa I used to have before it died of some
sort of aggressive canker) but once they learnt, the knowledge seems to have
passed to subsequent generations.

Unfortunately the wrapping, and spraying (thanks Bruce), suggestions are
impractical here. The squirrels have access higher in the tree from all
sides -- the houses are close together, there is a phone pole and a crab
apple. So there is no chance of keeping them out of the tree.

As I said, I am trying some baggies -- but I suspect the plums will
split. In Vermont where I have apples growing the bags work very well
against the various bugs, but when I tried them on pears (these were
Summer Crisp, Luscious and Golden Spice) they split badly. Since the pears
don't suffer much from bug attack I have given up on that and just do a
couple of hundred apples.

Richard