nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Necrotic leaf blotch?

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Necrotic leaf blotch?
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 14:34:01 -0500

Nathan,

The leaf in the photo is probably apple scab and from the description you gave of the weather, the temps were right for an infection period during the 90+ temps over Memorial Day.  Our scab software models here at Royal Oak Farm also showed an infection period for the same time, which is our third infection period in the last 2 weeks.  Nova or Captan is the necessary spray, but the timing is critical.  If you only have a few trees, Bonide Fruit Tree Spray contains Captan (needs to be sprayed within 72 hours of an infection period to really work), or go to http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/kb/apple-scab.html.  Refer to http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM1282.pdf for the use of any sprays.  Hope this helps