nafex - [NAFEX] New apple variety released by U of MN in 2006: Snowsweet

  • From: Nathan Torgerson <nathantorgerson@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] New apple variety released by U of MN in 2006: Snowsweet
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 20:55:43 -0700 (PDT)

I happened to run into this new U of MN apple (Snowsweet) searching the net for Zestar info:
http://www.apples.umn.edu/nurseries/snowben.html

It's a hybrid between Sharon and Connell Red.  They are promoting this new apple for its flavor "Sweet with a slight tart balance and rich overtones" and its ability to keep its flesh white after being cut (They don't say for how long).

For being a late summer apple (ripening two weeks after Honeycrisp, three weeks after McIntosh), it isn't a great keeper, lasting only 6 weeks to 2 months in storage.  They also mention that its a cold climate apple up to zone 4a "Grows best in northern U.S., Canada and areas with a relatively cooler climate."

They have a list of licenced nurseries who are carrying it (only 8 in the country):
http://www.apples.umn.edu/nurseries/nurseries.html, just in case you want to be one of the first to order. The U of MN doesn't release apples very often, so they are usually worth sinking your teeth into when they do.

I rode the last U of MN release with the 1999 Zestar, planting mine in 2000. I had a few apples for people to try...it was quite fun to be ahead of the local orchard curve, most of them not having Zestars until a couple years later.

Nate Torgerson
Andover, MN zone 4a