nafex - [NAFEX] Asimina triloba

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Asimina triloba
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 14:47:05 -0400

Hopefully you have more than one flowering.  The variety 'Sunflower' is the only one
that I'm aware of that is theoretically self pollinating.  I'd recommend you use a brush and
pollinate between your trees that way.  It's easy and fairly quick.  Find a flower that's quite dark
and look inside you should see the pistil in the center surrounded by a greyish/yellowish ball of
stamen with loose pollen.  Take the brush and pick up some of this pollen, and place it on
the pistils of a another flower on a different variety.  The flowers I think that are best
for receiving the pollen are starting to turn red, whose stamen 'ball' is still green and round.

If you did want to try the roadkill/rotten meat idea, I'd just put it under the tree on the ground.
It would attract enough flies and beetles to do the job.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation