nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Another one "extinct"

  • From: Nathan Torgerson <nathantorgerson@yahoo.com>
  • To: breen@fedcoseeds.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Another one "extinct"
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:10:21 -0700 (PDT)

This website has Cherry Pippin listed:

http://www.tree-mendus.com/product_pages/apples/Apple%20List.html

Nate

Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com> wrote:
Hi All,
Just to report in:
A final word on the Maine originating variety "Cherry Pippin". It has officially
passed from this earth, and is in no one's collection I know of. Speak now or
forever hold your peace. The owners of the property/family that had the tree
reported it died maybe 10 years ago with no attempts to propagate it. This tree was
over 100 years old. Its passing took place before my involvement with heirloom
fruit. Others knew of it, but did not propagate it. There is some dislike among
certain "collectors" and "explorers" in Maine for each other, so that one person's
work is not taken up by another. I believe it is called a peeing contest?
A lesson learned again: If you hear of an old tree, don't hesitate, put your BS
aside and propagate it, even if it turns out to be a false lead.
Another one bites the dust.
But along the way, and here is the silver lining, I talked to a random older person
who knows where another Maine cultivar has been hiding...right under my nose on a
road I drive 100 times a year. I'll be there this week, you can be sure.
Heron Breen
zone 4b, Maine

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.