nafex - [NAFEX] tending apples

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] tending apples
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 15:42:27 -0400

Well, five years after grafting, I finally have fruit set on the domestic selections I grafted to a seedling crab! My question is, what do I do now? Both the "Tydeman's Late" and the "Karmijn de Sonneveld" branches bloomed nicely, and have lots of tiny fruits set. I think the branches are as ready to bear the load as they will ever be, so I'd like to try for some fruit.

When to thin? When to bag? (Heck, for two branches, it can't take long to bag them.) What more spraying is needed? Any other advice?

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern Mass., zone 6