nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 08:53:57 -0700

I've said this before, but Dean's comment makes it worth repeating. That is, there is plenty of room for exploring to find new varieties of Amelanchier. I've grown Canadian selections here and they all get bad cases of rust, at very least, while the local form has almost no rust, even grown with the Canadian varieties. Also, the Canadian plants have a "burst" growth habit, which makes them come out, grow, and set buds very early. By early July here they have finished growing and you can't get anything else out of them for the season, while the local stuff blooms a month later and is still growing until August at least.
In short, while the Canadian selections have tasty fruit, the genus is so widespread there should be many more locally selected types possible than have been brought into cultivation so far. In many areas it's already time to start watching the local Amelanchier.
=Lon Rombough