nafex - Re: [NAFEX] finches in apple trees

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] finches in apple trees
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:03:44 -0700

I wish I could tell why I've, so far, had good luck with feeding. Maybe
it's because I always combine it with some other approach to make the crop
less attractive, or perhaps I've just lucked out. I don't depend as much on
it for strawberries - those, I net. With cherries I had much success
planting a yellow blush cherry for me, and a flowering cherry that produced
bright red, tiny cherries the birds far preferred right nearby. They
fruited at the same time.

I do guess that netting is an easier solution than bagging every individual
cherry...

Stephen Sadler
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate