nafex - Re: [NAFEX] finches in apple trees

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] finches in apple trees
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:36:05 -0700

I have some bird repellents. One's a Siamese, the other's a Tabby. There
are foil strips, some with eye-like designs, that flutter and are supposed
to scare birds. They need to be moved every few days so the birds don't get
used to them.

You could also put a feeder in the yard. In my experience, critters want
the easiest food, and a feeder full of seeds is pretty easy. You may have
read me before advocating the carrot-and-stick approach. Put bird repellant
foily-things in the tree to annoy the wee beasts, and a feeder to provide a
preferred choice. I've always liked having finches in the yard. Compared
to codling moth, they're a non-issue here in terms of apple production.

Stephen Sadler
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate