nafex - [NAFEX] Black raspberry germplasm request--worth helping

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black raspberry germplasm request--worth helping
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 23:21:08 -0400

Folks,
I had the privilege of working with Chad Finn several years ago, and would like to highly encourage your participation with this request for collecting native black raspberry fruit.  Chad has acres of red raspberry and blackberry and multiple other small fruit trials going on, and he has the skills, energy and infrastructure to attempt improvements of the standard black raspberry cultivars.

Hope you can participate.  If you have any questions of concerns, Michael or Chad should be able to address these.

Having a USDA-ARS researcher of this caliber willing to improve this minor fruit is exciting.  If you are wondering why anyone would want more black raspberries, check out the work of Gary Stoner at Ohio State University, where they are using black raspberries in human trials to treat several cancers.
General info: http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/healthyforlife/2386.shtml
Technical abstracts: http://lib.bioinfo.pl/auth:Stoner,GD

Richard Moyer
Bristol, TN