nafex - [NAFEX] Black Raspberry Germplasm help needed

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black Raspberry Germplasm help needed
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:32:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

My name is Michael Dossett and I am currently a
graduate student at Oregon State University working
with Chad Finn. I am in the process of setting up a
project to do for a PhD which involves a germplasm
collection for Black Raspberries (Rubus occidenatlis).
We believe the biggest problem facing breeding this
crop is lack of genetic diversity in the available
cultivars, but not neccessarily in the wild material.
The germplasm repository here in Corvallis has some
accessions of wild material but there are major gaps
in this plant's range that have not been covered by
any systematic collection effort.

I am looking for volunteers who live in areas of the
country with native Black Raspberries who would be
willing to collect fruit from wild plants and send it
to us here at the USDA later this summer. This would
minimize the amount of time and effort that we would
need to spend in the field next year collecting fruit
to fill in the holes. If you are interested in
learning more about this project or would be willing
to help us in the collection effort please contact me
off-list.

Thanks!

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon