nafex - [NAFEX] Veteran Peaches

  • From: Nathan Torgerson <nathantorgerson@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Veteran Peaches
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:03:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Cornell's site (http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/fls/OCRPDF/117a.pdf), they list Veteran as a hardy peach on par with Reliance, but has better qualities than Reliance (non-oxidizing, for example).  This is the first I have heard of that variety mentioned as cold hardy to that level.  Has anyone had any experience with this variety and would they recommend it for trial in zone 4?

Counting my Reliance blossom buds before the open (finally some signs of life after a relatively mild winter and a great April!),

Nate
Andover, MN