nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Budding to G-30

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Budding to G-30
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:59:36 -0400

On Apr 13, 2006, at 9:28 PM, Ribes60@aol.com wrote:

"G30 is ultrasensitive to viruses and you shouldn't mess with it",, That was the word that I got from Jim Cummings. I ordered GC-11 instead because he warned that G-30 needed virus free scions.

Ed Mashburn
Central PA
Zone 5A

You might be thinking of G16 (the other smaller one).  I just spoke with Jim Cummins, to ask if the Ashmeads on M7 he sold me last year would have any viruses that would be harmful to the G30 rootstock, and he said not to worry about it - as far as he can tell, the only Geneva rootstock with virus sensitivity is G16 - and that one is extremely sensitive to a number of latent viruses.  In fact, he said go ahead and graft from my multi-tree if I want to, he thinks the only problem is that it's a little too late in the season.

I have seen some comments on the internet about virus issues with G30, but Jim Cummins is the expert, and people sometimes get confused.  So I think I'll give it a try.

Ginda