nafex - [NAFEX] Blueberry groundcovers--moss or teaberry

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blueberry groundcovers--moss or teaberry
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:26:44 -0400

Doreen wrote:
"...can I grow a groundcover in the bed under the
blueberry bushes?"

Our neighbors rake bushels of moss off their shady lawn every couple of years.  We put this under our blueberry bushes where it has taken hold.   Helps with holding water and maintaining an acid pH.

For an edible, consider teaberry (Gaultheria procumbens), aka wintergreen, checkerberry or boxberry.  Evergreen, white flowers, red edible berries, mostly as a nibble.

Richard Moyer
East Tenn
Ideal fireblight conditions; warm and wet during bloom.