nafex - [NAFEX] Mulching fruit trees.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulching fruit trees.
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:02:49 EDT

Jim wrote:
Jerry,
   I mulch with pine needles.  They rot slowly.  If they were half rotten or
ineffective, I'd know it and would not have bothered to post.
--

Hi Jim,

I really question the effectiveness of your mulch. Maybe too shallow.

I too have seen what the another writer wrote that they have seen frost under their trees in their mulch well after all other frost is gone. I have used chipped material from tree removal service (they bring it to me free) about 6 inches thick around my small seedling persimmons and pawpaws to keep them from heaving out of the ground in late spring due to freezing and thawing. I've dug down and seen it holding frost, reducing heaving of the young seedlings right out of the ground. It works for sure for that purpose.

I firmly believe 6 to 10 inches of wood chips could delay early spring bud break with certain tree species and Aprocot could be one. Wood is a wonderful insulator. Chips allow water to drain down through helping keep it relative free of saturated water helping hold the chips insulative value. I suspect it would even be better if applied dry in late winter while frost is still in the ground.

Of course mulch should be kept at least 6 inches from the bark to prevent mouse & vole damage to the bark.

I'm going to start another discussion thread, Genetic control of early bud break.

Jerry

Receive much more grower information by joining NAFEX. Receive the quarterly publication POMONA with many short articles written from member experiences.  No where else can you get so much for so little. Membership is only $13.00 annually. WWW.NAFEX.org

  • [NAFEX] Mulching fruit trees., Jwlehman, 04/09/2006