nafex - [NAFEX] Genetic control of early bud break

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Genetic control of early bud break
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:02:51 EDT

This is a follow up to the discussion line, "Mulching fruit trees" to delay flowering

Several years ago James Claypool grafted maybe 50 side branches of his pistillate trees with male scions to better pollinate his trees. Because I'm breeding and desired to know which genotypes broke bud early and which ones late I made several trips to his orchard during bud break.

I discovered that males with early bud break grafted to late bud break genotypes still broke bud early while the rest of the tree was still dormant. And likewise late bud break males were still dormant while the rest of the early breaking tree grafted to  had green shoots. The conclusion I derived at was, in persimmon early and late bud break is controlled more by the tree genetics than temperature.

For what it's worth.

Jerry

Receive much more grower information by joining NAFEX. Receive the quarterly publication POMONA with many short articles written from member experiences.   No where else can you get so much for so little. Membership is only $13.00 annually. WWW.NAFEX.org