nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Early apple, Liveland Raspberry

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Early apple, Liveland Raspberry
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 05:44:11 -0500

Livland (=Livonia=Latvia) Raspberry, also known as Lowland Raspberry, is a
fine fruit in southern Wisconsin. One of the best I've eaten. The flavor is
subtle, not quite bland as it grows for Ed, but it does have some raspberry
overtones if you look hard for them. It is presumably quite hardy as it has
been used as a parent in some University of Minnesota crosses. (God bless
their fruit breeding souls.) Oriole, another fine early apple here, is a
Yellow Transparent x Livland Raspberry cross.

I haven't grown LR though Oriole (which I kinda like better) seems to grow
easily for me on Bud 9. I might put in an LR someday if I had scions,
rootstock and inclination in alignment.

Which brings a question to mind. Do you pronounce the name of the bramble
Rasp--berry or Razz--berry? Around here everyone says razzberry I think.
My grandmother, born and raised in southern Minnesota, always said
Rasp--berry or was it Wrasse--berry? I've taken to pronouncing it
Rasp--berry of late, much to my son's chagrin.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA Zone 3-4