nafex - [NAFEX] Primocane blackberry management

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Primocane blackberry management
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:37:42 -0400

Pete,
Thanks for your comments.  The issue I tried to raise is not pruning the tips on these primocane blackberries to increasing branching and fruitset, but removing the entire emerging primocanes to ground level, back to the crown.  (Hence the asparagus analogy.)  This encourages entirely separate primocanes to emerge, much later than the originals, hence with later blooming and fruiting.  John Clark mentioned the possibility of pruning the primocanes off until a certain date, then letting new ones grow to get later season blackberries at target dates.  You are right that after a certain point, it would not work well; John probably has data on this already.
I think the better analogy than black raspberries is fall-bearing red raspberries.  I've moved some of these in late spring, cutting back the tender primocanes to lessen transplant shock.  They sprout again, but bloom and fruit later in the season than those red raspberries not cut back.
Richard

  • [NAFEX] Primocane blackberry management, Richard Moyer, 04/05/2006