nafex - [NAFEX] Preventing early bloom - Donna's comment

  • From: Rondi <nafex@mokalive.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Preventing early bloom - Donna's comment
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 21:31:13 -0500

Donna's comments about her plums waiting reminded me about something I noticed in my orchard this year. Most of my peaches are small and don't have mulch around them, but my Contender that I bought and is taller I mulched heavily with straw last year because of the drought we were experiencing. I didn't pull it away during the winter because the drought just never let up until two weeks ago. I noticed this spring this tree was about 2 weeks late to blossom compared others in the area. The only difference I can see is the mulch.

What I am wondering is if it would make sense to mulch trees that are known to bloom before they ought to slow them down? Anyone else have experience with this? I would like to hear other such experiences.

Thanks,

Rondi

<The 23 degree freeze last week that harmed nothing except for peach and plum blossoms has only <increased my appreciation for native trees like persimmons with some sense about Tennessee's <treacherous springs. Two plums with no old world blood in them waited till after the freeze to bloom.

Two plums with no old world blood in them waited till after the freeze to bloom.
<x-tad-bigger>"The right to life is the source of all rights--and the right to property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave."
-Ayn Rand</x-tad-bigger>