nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zestar Apple

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zestar Apple
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 05:11:02 -0500

Jim,

This sounds exactly like my Zestars, except I've been pruning and spreading
them to beat the dickens since they were small. The tree is vigorous to a
fault, throwing long branches and watersprouts. Zestar has the broomy growth
habit of Northern Spy (with the branches being a bit coarser in texture)
though NS is not listed as an ancestor Mine are full size trees on
Antonovka. Zestar does not seem to be particularly precocious. Mine have
not fruited after at least five years in the ground. The Zestars I have
tasted seem to be a bit more inconsistent in flavor from apple to apple than
some others. The best ones I've eaten were grown just west of St. Cloud, MN
and were eyepoppingly good--certainly one of the very best early apples I've
eaten. The flavor was inconsistent in that orchard (Lake Sylvia Vineyards)
too.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI